• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(213039)

Sergeant
5 Badges
Jun 28, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Got into this game just recently, and while playing Tuscany I finally started to understand the game. I'd been trying to play Belgium before, but kept getting smacked down by big powers.

By the way, I play the game with Age of Colonialism mod.

So with Tuscany I opened up with an alliance to just Austria. Then right off I grabbed a two-province country to the north (think it's Modena?). That cranked my infamy way up to 20.

Next I picked a state capitalist ruling party and concentrated on economy. I researched steam, then lots of industry. Even though I didn't have coal, I knew from my previous Belgium attempts that cement always becomes a hot commodity and with lower prestige I may not be able to buy any. Cement was a good move, it fed the rest of my industry and stayed profitable.

I forget how I got mixed up in it, but at some point I got in a shooting war with the Pope. I took advantage of the opportunity and added "annex Romagna" as a wargoal. It was a tad close, with me and Austria fighting France in Italy but before too long we won and I had some more territory.

At this point my economy was starting to hum along nicely (was tough since Tuscany isn't industrialized to start out with). I'd made researching steam ships a priority, so I built a steam convoy factory. That ended up being very profitable, at the height I had 3 factories each making like 200 pounds a day (even after importing the raw goods).

My infamy was way too high to attack anyone civilized at this point, so I built a fleet and headed for Egypt. When I got there I noticed Two Sicilies already there in a war. They went after western Egypt and I went for the east. At first I got greedy and added a second annex state wargoal. So who do you think decides to stick their nose in where they have no business? USA of course! :rofl: I had a good laugh about how historically spot-on that was.

Anyway USA smacking me around was too much to handle so I had to backup to a save game and this time I just did one annex state wargoal. Everything went smooth and before long I was a Great Power as Tuscany! That was nice, to start out wimpy and become a GP.

A while later on I grabbed another Egyptian state, and Two Sicilies did the same. All during the game, liberal agitation was a problem.. somehow I managed to beat the movement down and turn things back around to conservative dominance. I even got a game message about "winning a revolution" though I never had rebel armies. Anyway it was welcome.. the liberals were whacked down and I got a -6 militancy on liberals and a big prestige boost.

At this point it's about 1860ish. The CSA has made a truce with the USA. Russia has colonized a bit of the American northwest. France has been expanding slowly but steadily. UK seems to have stayed about the same. Before the Civil War, the US became a big industrial power and still is.

Where I'm at now is stuck in a screw up. I was trying to make furniture and paper (paper was very profitable). Oh, and the steamer convoy business crashed and I had to close two factories with just one that made 50 pounds per day (down from 3 making 200 a day). So anyway I was having big problems getting enough wood for the lumber mill which then fed the paper and furniture factories plus pop needs for lumber.

I don't know why I could never get enough lumber.. neither wood nor lumber were in high demand, shouldn't have been a problem. I had a couple timber provinces in the Romagna state, so I thought maybe my problem was that I had too many craftsmen there working in factories instead of laborers doing timber.

So I destroyed my Romagna factories and set national focus to encourage laborers. Well that was a mistake.. timber gathering went up a bit but the rest of everything else crashed and I lost GP status to Austria. The economy got so messed up that it didn't even need the timber anymore so now I'm just going to go back to an earlier savegame and just get out of lumber business.

That about wraps it up.. has been a lot of fun, and I was pleased that events seemed historically plausible.

If you wanted to increase the lumber supply, railroads would have been your best bet, as well as obvious techs such as Mechanical Production. Are you looking to form Italy?

Oh, and:

The CSA has made a truce with the USA

Awesome

If you wanted to increase the lumber supply, railroads would have been your best bet, as well as obvious techs such as Mechanical Production. Are you looking to form Italy?

Oh, and:

Awesome

I'm good on railroads. Made that a priority and have railroads all through Tuscany and Tuscan Egypt. Have max railroad tech allowed for the year I'm in, plus good undustry tech (including some timber specific).. and yet I still couldn't get enough timber to feed the lumber mill. I don't understand why I'm having a problem since timber and lumber are plentiful on the common market. So that should mean the paper and furniture factory should be able to import what I can't supply.

Anyway I'm just getting out of the lumber business with the Tuscany game, I've had it with it.

As for CSA, I've been too concentrated on myself to watch the world but just noticed them there.. they were in a war with USA and made peace just giving up a couple states. USA used to own Texas, but CSA has it now.

EDIT: about forming Italy.. this Tuscany game is just about learning how to play Vic II. If I can go back to the save game and avoid the wood debacle then maybe I can get strong enough to take the papal states when my infamy goes down, then Sicily.. my goals aren't too grand, remember this is Tuscany we're talking about. LOL

Update..

So I went back to a save game and tried to work back through the wood debacle. I decided to just say screw it and stop babysitting my factories. I cranked up tariffs to 100%, my policy being that if a factory can't be profitable after importing and paying its tax then just let it go.

The lumber yard and paper went bankrupt. I kept subsidies on furniture so that my luxury furniture could get supply. After paying its tariffs on missing timber, it just barely stayed profitable. This "no mercy" strategy led me to only having factories that could either barely survive without subsidies or could be nicely profitable even after paying high import tariffs. It turned out that the world market was lacking in liquor.. so along with steamer convoys liquor became a top manufactured good. I also started up and subsidized some factories that supplied critical government needs like artillery.

On the diplomatic side of things, CSA formed again like last time and again made peace with USA. Just for kicks I allied to them. Soon after Mexico launched a Texan liberation war and I got a cally ally from CSA. I tried two things here.. first go around I got greedy and tried to do a "add sphere" war goal. That campaign got really bogged down.. Mexico was too big for me to pepper with detachments and they managed to regroup an army bigger than mine -- all while my CSA ally in the war just kept their army on the border. Seems like some weak combat AI there.

So I had to give that up and went back to a savegame and this time only did "humiliate" wargoal. Just as that war was over Papal States declared on me and I had to rush back to put them down (my Two Sicilies allies were a big help there).

About this time I lost GP status to Bavaria and so I lost the spheres of control I'd managed to get on CSA, Brazil, and Two Sicilies. But at least I still had military alliances with them.

My next campaign was to grab the last two slices of Egypt, leaving only their home state which Prussia grabbed soon after and then old Egypt was gone for good. I was now neighboring the Ottomans so I concentrated on getting relations to 200 to try to lessen the likelyhood of them invading. So far they haven't.. if they do, that's going to be a big problem for me.

I think I'm up to 1873 now.. USA had a nasty war with Russia over northwestern America. The US ended up with a bad rebel problem, Manhattan and New England broke away as independent nations. They still have a strong economy though, #3 I think on GP list.

The Tuscan economy is doing great after the max tariff no-mercy policy. I ran with 400 budget income per day for a long time.. eventually a million pounds accumulated. I lost it all though by overbuilding an ironclad navy. I had to scrap a number of ships to get to a balanced budget.

So where I'm at now is a decent navy, 10 ironclads and 10 steamer transports in the Med, and also 10 steamer transports on the Sinai so if I want to go grab something in Asia my Tuscan troops won't have to sail all the way around Africa. I'm hoping I'll eventually get some option to build the Suez canal? That would be cool.

The world economy at this point has sort of tanked and flattened out.. there's too much of everything. My liquor factories went bankrupt. My steamer convoy factories are still doing okay, since Tuscany itself needs so much of that. Lots of tax money still rolling in.. and thanks to Egypt, Tuscany is one of the top exporters of tropical wood and second only to CSA in cotton exports.

I briefly regained GP status, but with so many nations on the rise I'll probably never see it again. World stats look a bit out of whack.. China has almost 600 million in pop, though it hasn't yet westernized. It's starting to look like Vic 2 isn't built for endgame play.

So Tuscany is now at a crossroads. Austria dropped me as an ally back when the Pope invaded, but hopefully the American confederates will strengthen and be a good ally. Brazil might grow to a good ally too, and Two Sicilies is a strong ally on my southern border. But without being able to get GP status doesn't look like I can ever get spheres to form Italy.

Next I plan to carefully add some more ships to that Red Sea fleet. I've had a "encourage soldiers" national focus on southern Egypt which were just gathering unneeded wheat anyway and that's starting to add to my army. My next move will probably be to grab something in Asia, maybe start picking away at Korea. Infamy is a big issue here, I've been running close to max the whole game.

Last edited:
What year is it? By 1880, generally things start to go a bit mental. You're right to wean yourself off subsidies, as they're really bad for you in the long run. Oh, and your tariffs will be absolutely butchering your artisans, just so you know.

What year is it? By 1880, generally things start to go a bit mental. You're right to wean yourself off subsidies, as they're really bad for you in the long run. Oh, and your tariffs will be absolutely butchering your artisans, just so you know.

If I'm misunderstanding something please let me know. I'm still learning the game, just figuring it out by playing. Do tariffs hurt the artisans because their imported goods are more expensive? That's the assumption I'm operating under, that if the artisan or factory has to import the raw material then the tariff hurts them (or doesn't hurt them if it's a profitable item).

By the way, I'm so clueless sometimes.. turns out I was playing vanilla and NOT age of colonialism (I didn't move the mod files over right). So no wonder the game was getting funky lol. I've switched to Pop Demand mod now and the market is suspiciously kind to me. I like the added goods for sure, but sort of miss the volatility since that made it feel realistic.

Another thing I'm not sure I like about pop demand mod is everyone having big armies and way too many nations having big big navies. It's ridiculous for the Ottomans to be a major naval power not long into the game.

Back to Tuscany.. since deleting everything that game is over. I played it up to a point where the Red Shirts were stuck occupying Parma I think. I had no way of getting a military access to go in and take them out, and couldn't declare war without that being a game ender. So voila Italy was declared with Parma's tech tree. Before that happened I had a great war with the US on the CSA's side until just as we were winning darn rebels popped in every CSA state -- that rebel in every province thing is a real game killer.

Er, I'm not even that sure myself why they are. All I know is that tariffs make it really difficult for your artians to get their life needs.

Well that would make sense. Tariffs hurt needs for all pops if the imports they need to buy cost more than what they can pay. What I do is crank up the tariffs unless I see red on the needs pie chart, then I crank it down until it balances.

But who really knows, this game is starting to feel like a massive shell game with all these sliders and graphs and levers when really nothing does anything at all. :rofl:

Having fun with it though.. I just need to find a mod I like.

Hi. Allow me to quip in: in my 1st play-through and went with Tuscany as well. It is, indeed, extremely ingratiating when you achieve GP status as Tuscany. You might not want to annex all the Italian states on your way to national unification. Instead, you'll be looking at getting them into your SoI. It's might be quite problematic, especially when a neighbouring GP such as France or Austria take note.
I brought both Bavaria and Switzerland into my sphere of influence, before I stared going after the small Italian states. The danger you're likely to go against is that you lose your SoI countries when you lose GP status: if the score places you in such a position that you oscillate between GP and secondary power, you might want to bring your influence score levels to max with every country (as well as bringing the status to Friendly), before you commit and SoI them. Might also want to go after the smallest Italian states first, as they tend not to attract such GP attention (which means your efforts are less likely to be thwarted).

All I know is it was diplomatic manoeuvring at its best and I managed to do it by the skin of my teeth. Unification happened sometime in 1867 for me (though I'll admit I've used the diplomatic cheat to get Papal States to agree to an annexation offer, because I was threatened with the loss of GP status - I'm looking at you, prestige-whoring Sweden! - and wouldn't have conquered in time with the conquest coming some twenty-odd days late and Lazio was the last piece of the puzzle that was 32 in-game years and sometime until 3 am real-time in the making; I wept tears of joy and shame, I did).

Hi. Allow me to quip in: in my 1st play-through and went with Tuscany as well. It is, indeed, extremely ingratiating when you achieve GP status as Tuscany.

I was still learning the basics (and still am) so after getting GP I didn't even know how to do SOI. I've tried Tuscany a bit with some other mods.. things feel different, like I think POP demand mod gets rid of the navy nerf bat. That's bad for a small country like Tuscany.. small countries are better with expensive navies since becoming rich is more doable to than building a gazillion ships.

I like pop mod for other reasons, but I don't know I had a lot of fun with this Tuscany even though I guess that was vanilla game. I actually like a volatile market so as a small country I can spot opportunities. I'm not seeing any volatility in POP demand mod, but if it fixes the latter game econo-crash then that would be good.

So I'm stuck in limbo now just trying to find a mod I'm comfortable with. Do you use a mod or vanilla?